> From: Curtis Garman [mailto:curt.gar...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Getting out of memory using tomcat 6.0.20 but works fine
> in tomcat 5.5.28
>
> I believe the default amount of PermGenSpace in tomcat was reduced
> between 5 and 6...

You believe incorrectly.  Tomcat itself cannot affect the JVM heap settings,
since they're already established by the time any Tomcat logic gets control.
It is possible for the startup scripts to set heap size values, but the ones
distributed with Tomcat do not.  It is theoretically possible that Tomcat 6.0
requires a larger PermGen than 5.5 did, but I have seen no evidence to support
that (there is some evidence that the opposite is true).

Without more information about what portion of the heap is exhausted, this is
all speculation.  Since an OOME is also thrown for a variety of non-heap
issues, this may not even be heap related.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.