Thanks for the reply Chris.

what I want to do:

I am running Tomcat as a standalone server on OSX. My application had been previously set up with apache serving in front of Tomcat.

My application is a context element '/myapp' accessed via <server address>/myapp.

Within the app's jsps are references to files in a folder 'myapp-web' whose real location on the server file system
is outside the tomcat tree.

I am unclear whether these references are actually supported in the previous version via mod_alias or a symbolic link created for /library/webserver/documents. Tomcat the definitive guide says that if allowLinking in the myapp context is true that it should work, but so far it has not worked for me.

Dennis