Christopher Schultz wrote:
I'm curious about the usefulness of caching prepared statements in
general, though. What is the default maxOpenPreparedStatements setting
and what did you set it to in order to get it to work out well for you?

The default is unlimited, which is the problem.  I've been playing with
different settings to try and find the best one, but obviously, it needs to
be less than 300.

If you have 100 different prepared statements in your code and you are
only allowing a connection to cache, say, 5 of them, then I have to
expect that you'll be constantly thrashing your cache as new statements
are prepared and executed. Do you see a performance gain between
disabling statement caching and enabling it, but setting the cache size
relatively low?

That's one of the things I'm hoping to find out.