Elli Albek wrote:
>2. If your JDBC driver supports caching of prepared statements and
>metadata, do it in the driver and disable this in DBCP. IMO DBCP does
>a poor job at best in caching. We use mysql and its JDBC driver is
>doing an excellent job.

It didn't occur to me that that was available.

>3. Your JDBC driver may already be caching metadata that DBCP is
>caching. In this case you are caching the same data twice. Make sure
>it dose not happen, it is a big memory overload on the JVM.

Interesting.  I need to do more research.

>B. Avoid hot deployment of apps by shutting down tomcat before
>updates. This is safer, but also not 100% clean.

We're actually doing that already, but for other reasons.  We currently
have different servers for different parts of the world and schedule down
time for off-peak periods for the regions they serve.

Thanks for the info.