No one willing to touch this one?  I thought I'd get at least a passing
comment...:-(

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Kukulka [mailto:darren.kuku...@connaught.plc.uk]
Sent: 27 October 2009 12:14
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Apache Close-Wait issue

Hi All

Got an interesting problem which has occurred several times now..

Painting a brief picture ;

Several applications running on Tomcat 6.0.19 (64-bit) - several cluster
groups

Backend SQL Server 2005 clustered DBs (several)

Front end Apache Web servers, load balanced via secure network appliance

Basically, we have an issue with one of the DB clusters which stops
servicing requests from the app servers

The app servers can continue to connect to remaining DB clusters OK.

The problem is that all the web servers stop responding to external
requests.  Looking at the ports in use on each server, there are a
number of established sessions between Apache and Tomcat, which seems
OK.  All of the web servers also have exactly 30 close-wait sessions
with the secure network appliance.  We think this is what is stopping
any requests from being services by the web servers.  However, even
trying to browse locally on each server to the root just times out.

We do not enforce keepalive or timeouts for TCP/HTTP, and we use
practically all the defaults for these directives.  All web servers are
configures identically.

I can't find any reference to a directive that may limit connections to
30.

Restarting the web servers allows users to get to applications using the
good databases.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

Cheers,

Darren.

Connaught plc is a FTSE 250 company. We are the UK's leading provider of
integrated services operating in the compliance, social housing and
public sector markets.

Please visit our website to see a full list of Connaught's Registered
Companies www.connaught.plc.uk/group/aboutconnaught/registeredcompanies

Disclaimer:
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this
message. Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546