André,

On 10/29/2009 6:47 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> 4) If it works, this has got to go on the WiKi

I apologize for possibly sounding like a jerk, but my suggestion seemed
somewhat self-evident given the various configuration options. <shrug>

> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> I think you can get this effect by:
>>
>> 1. Setting <Context swallowOutput="true"
>> 2. Configure a context logger in logging.properties like this:
>>
>>    handlers = ...., crappyWebAppHandler
>>    crappyWebAppHandler.level=FINE
>>    crappyWebAppHandler.directory=mychoice
>>    crappyWebAppHandler.prefix=mychoicetoo
>>    # not sure about suffix
>>
>>    # Next is all on one line:
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.code.ContainerBase.[ServiceName].[hostname].[/contextName].handlers=crappyWebAppHandler
>>
>>    # done with all-on-one-line
>
> Q : are the above [things] literal, or meant to be replaced by the
> respective values ?

Typically, you'd have:

org.apache.catalina.code.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/yourWebApp].handlers=crappyWebAppHandler

> Qbis : by the way, and I know you're probably going to object to this,
> but is there something above stopping me from directing that to a pipe
> on the filesystem, where I pick it up with an external rotatelog or
> something ?

Not at all. As far as the logging system is concerned, it simply opens
an output stream (probably a "Writer", technically) and writes to it. I
think a named pipe is a great idea (which would work with catalina.out,
too, so the complexity of this solution might not be worth if if you're
willing to use a named pipe in the first place).

> No, I don't want to learn log4j. It looks too much like lifelong
> dedication is needed, just like Java (*).

Nah. Actually, once you write a single log4j configuration file (and
figure out wtf "additivity" is), you're set (kinda like Perl!).

> (*) Actually, it's not the Java language itself, which is quite simple
> and elegant.  But it's that in order to do anything at all in that
> language, you first need to become familiar with dozens of class
> hierarchies.

Kinda like CPAN :)

Good luck,