Hi all,

Some background info:
OS: Windows Server 2003
Tomcat Version: 5.5
JDK Version: 1.6.0

I've run into a very annoying problem while trying to enable automatic context reload on our development server. It works well when there is not a user logged on to the system (I guess that means while there is session info on the server), but if someone is logged in, then Tomcat fails to reload the context. Another issue that may be related to this is that Tomcat will not shutdown cleanly when someone is logged in (Tomcat hangs at "INFO: Stopping service Catalina). Rather, we must close the console window forcefully, then start the server back up to an error (IOException while loading persisted sessions: java.io.EOFException), shut it back down, and restart it. This has become very tedious to do whenever we have to cycle the server, and has made context reloading impossible. After all the information I tried piecing together on the I guess it has something to with not being able to reload/shutdown if there is an open session, but I'm not sure

I tried upgrading Tomcat to 6.0.20, but the same issue occurs. If possible, I'd like to try fixing this on Tomcat 5.5, because I'm not 100% sure that the migration went cleanly.

I used jstack to get a stack trace on the Tomcat process when it hung on context reload. I won't post the details unless someone thinks they might be helpful (Don't want to fill the email with too much stuff). However, I know I read somewhere that Tomcat will hang on shutdown if there is a non-daemon thread still running. jstack reports three non-daemon threads: main, VM Thread, and VM Periodic Task Thread. I don't think that's causing the problem, but figured I'd better let you know anyway.

I appreciate your help, as it has been very frustrating trying to resolve this issue.
-James Murphy