Jeffrey Janner wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.
Are there any other tips I could provide to the developers that they can
do to improve throughput?
Should they hard-code the http:// for all the static elements to avoid
passing them over SSL,

If these items are not sensitive, that /could/ be a good idea, except that IE is probably going to bother your users no-end, popping up friendly warnings that this site is switching between secure and non-secure pages, so they'll probably wonder which brain-dead designer came up with this scheme.

or do my security constraints take care of that?
(I doub it.)

You're right to doubt, they will do nothing of the kind.

The original URL gets redirected to https immediately, so I'm thinking
everything from there on out is SSL.  Correct?

Yes, inasfar as links in html pages are concerned. You have to look at it from the browser's point of view. When it sees an "incomplete" link, it completes it using the protocol and hostname from which the current page was obtained, and then it requests that object.

Can I get more granular?  I'd be happy for a pointer to a good reference
on the subject.

There are probably tons on Google, if you look for "website optimi[z,s]ation" or the like.

Personally, I have found that a very large proportion of websites on the WWW are slow because their designers just /don't think/. If loading each page requires 10 or more requests to the server and you fail to organise stuff so that it can be cached by the browser, then you should not be surprised that your site feels slow. But it never ceases to amaze me how many sites ignore the simple common-sense principles. I would bet that carefully examining what you are actually sending in your pages and cleaning it up would yeld more benefits, faster, than playing around with protocols, compression and the like.