Elle,

I am going to dig into this code and check it out.  I want to know more
about how to use threadlocal and filters.  (Sorry I'm not as experienced in
Tomcat as some for you gurus here).

The code looks promising and I like the 2nd option due to the fact that each
HTTP req. only has one connection (which should drop the overhead immensely)
however for right now, I just want to fix the bleeding issue (which it seems
that I have caught a good portion of them), so I'll use my legacy code, but
during a "minor" code release, I can definitely look into rolling this out.
I am getting a ton of "abandoned" conenction warnings in the console window,
so I need to find out where these are coming from now.

I don't know where to begin thanking you guys but thank you.  I've gotten
more mentoring here on this listing than I have in 2 years at my current
employer.  Thank you all again.

- Josh