Peter Crowther wrote:
You might, however, be able to get what you want using a combination of
http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/ and two Connectors defined on the same
Service.

That indeed looks to me like a way, if you want to stay entirely within Tomcat. It would have the benefit that there is only one Tomcat and that webapps can communicate. But is a bit tricky to set up, since the URLs you want to redirect are "/xxx", so you will need a dummy "/xxx" webapp, to set the urlrewrite filter into, and re-direct the calls to "/myapp/xxx".

Otherwise, I would say to use an Apache front-end, with mod_proxy or mod_proxy_ajp or mod_jk, and possibly mod_rewrite to rewrite the URLs.
It is relatively trivial if you know Apache httpd.