Peter Crowther wrote:
2009/12/1 Anthony Jay <anthony...@fastmail.fm>:
As for cross application communication I will have to revisit our own
code to see if there are static/singleton services that can be
re-engineered and decoupled.

This may be one of the few appropriate times where you may want to put
code for the singletons (and all the classes that might be referenced
by your singletons) in common/lib.  It's not an ideal solution, but it
may save you considerable effort as those classes will then be loaded
by a single classloader, rather than the per-webapp classloaders.

Or then, this may be a case where you want to explore front-ending these applications with an Apache httpd server, linked to Tomcat via an AJP connector. There is considerably more flexibility in Apache httpd regarding AAA (since for one it is not bound by the servlet spec), and once a request is authenticated, Apache and the connector will happily pass this authenticated id to Tomcat. And you would have to change nothing to your servlet-engine side code, singletons and all.