On 02/12/2009 06:30, raj kumar wrote:
Hi friends,

When i ran tomcat and shut it down my java process is not closing along with
shutdown.i need to kill it explicitly. So  I would like to know how to
identify the java process of the logged in user who started the server. so
that i can kill the process id from the shutdown.sh script itself. Please
help me.

The jsvc binary supplied with Tomcat starts the server, records the process id and uses it to stop the server. In my experience it's never failed to stop the server, so you may find that using it is an effective solution.

However, in aggressively shutting down Tomcat, you may be hiding an issue that is contained in the application. I would recommend that you investigate why Tomcat is not shutting down and see if you can address the problem before taking more drastic action.

Try taking a thread dump after shutdown, to see which threads are still active.

Tomcat: jakarta-tomcat-5.0.28
Java : j2sdk1.4.2
OS: SunOS

Thanks,