problem solved

the firewall exceptions were not config'ed correctly

it seems the 443 inbound packet was hitting the box
    but not hitting tomcat itself (due to fw dropping the packets)

i do however wonder for future ref,
 the best way to turn more logging-on for ssl

(even though in this case, logging would not have helped much
   ...except it would have been more obvious
               that tomcat was NOT seeing the ssl attempts by the remote
clients at all )

better logging ideas are welcomed.
  (as this might benefit others also)

I was hoping the global "debug" logging level
 would have showm a bit more on the ssl connections, etc
  ...but i dont think it did that

fyi
Tomcat 6.0.13
Java  1.6.017