Given that the samples run fine, this doesn't look like a Tomcat issue.  I
suspect you'd have better luck on a MySQL, Hibernate or x-planner list.

I'm slightly bemused that the username in the error message is in UPPERCASE
when you've specified it in lower case - is something assuming particular
case-sensitivity on MySQL?

- Peter