2009/12/9 Karthik Nanjangude <karthik.nanjang...@xius-bcgi.com>

> Same Tomcat 6.0.20 from
>

> http://opensource.become.com/apache/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.20/bin/apache-tomcat-6.0.20.zip

OK.

> RAM is  2 GB on Linux   on  Windows is 1.5 GB
> No extra applications are running when the same was executed

How much of that RAM is given to Tomcat in each case?

> Machine details
>
> Windows 2000
> 4 CPU 2.66GHz
> Service Pack 4

OK.  I can't compare that to the Linux box, as you don't give the same
details.

> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-b64)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-b64, mixed mode, sharing)

A couple of differences compared to the Linux box:

- A much older JVM, I think - this looks like the original 1.5 release,
compared to 1.5.0_18 on Linux.
- The client VM rather than the server VM is running.

I would expect both of these to slow down the Windows box.

Linux
> [r...@teleglb bin]# uname -o
> GNU/Linux
>
> [r...@teleglb bin]# uname -a
> Linux teleglb.xius.ltd 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Jul 12 23:27:17 EDT 2006
> i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> [r...@teleglb bin]# uname -i
> i386
>
> [r...@teleglb bin]# uname -p
> i686
>
> [r...@teleglb bin]# java -version
> java version "1.5.0_18"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_18-b02)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_18-b02, mixed mode)

None of this gives any information on number of processors, speed of
processors etc.

As Andre points out, you also don't give any information on the tests you're
running, which makes it difficult to know what you're actually comparing.
For example, if your webapp accesses an external database, the version of
the database software will make a massive difference.

What are you testing?

> >> Also, both Windows 2000 and Java 1.5 are in the "no longer supported"
>
> Off the topic - Does this mean Every Hardware /S/w for 6 months needs
> replacement
>
> No, but it means you're on your own if something goes wrong.  As with all
businesses, yours needs to trade off the expected cost of upgrade (including
the disruption) with the expected cost of supporting the old versions.

I'm not arguing with you - I still see the odd NT 4.0 box, and several
Windows 98s ;-).

- Peter