Many thanks Chuck and Ken for the tip. I am surprised that the solution
is a 'hack' rather than configuration, but kinda glad that I wasn't
losing my marbles.
URL Rewriting is probably going to be the easiest way out, I am
considering using mod_jk on the apache side so I could get away with
using it there, but its always nice to 'hit' tomcat directly and get the
same result.
maybe someday Ill write a patch/plugin/filter/gizmo that will allow form
and basic on same app and present it to the world...
Then again form/basic auth on apache side isnt too far away.
I feel like I am hitting a brick wall with my head more often than I
should be....
(Any other tips welcome!)
Regards,
Tony