I usually install Tomcat as a Service under windows which causes all
Tomcat output to go to stdout.log.  I am in a situation where I can
not do this.  I have to start Tomcat from the command line.  When I do
all of Tomcats output is logged to the console.  How do I manually
configure Tomcat so the output gets logged to a file?

I tried the instructions under the log4j section here
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html

When I restarted Tomcat no new log file was created.  The output
stilled logged to the console window.

I couldn't find any other documentation on how to do this in Tomcat 6.

Can some one point me to some documentation on how to set up this type
of logging?

Thank you