I'm not sure about that. Here's what seems to me to be the sequence of events:

Browser sends initial request  http://myapp.com
        Tomcat creates session and generates page for this request.
Tomcat doesn't know that Browser supports cookies, so it should append jsessionid (but doesn't ??)
Browser get's Tomcat response & display's page with address:   http://myapp.com
Browser creates JSESSIONID cookie (using info supplied by Tomcat in response):
Cookie has contents:    4E4F86E5B779F43BCA7895B8A554FDCD
-----
Browser makes 2nd request, for http://myapp/anotherPage. Browser must definitely by now be stating that it supports cookies. Tomcat prepares response, adding jsessionid (why?), the SAME jsessionid as in the cookie: 4E4F86E5B779F43BCA7895B8A554FDCD
Browser displays response with jsessionid showing in address bar.
----
More interactions,  but no more jsessionid's.....