The way things work now by default ... The session cookie is set at the path level and is different per context. So you may have multiple sessino id cookies set for a given server (but given the path constraint on the cookie - you only get one of those cookies (typically))

But (IIRC) you can also configure tomcat to use one session id for all contexts. (Comes in handy for portlets)

-Tim