I can give you the examples of incompatibilities I've seen in my app.
They're pretty trivial.

In Servlet API 2.2 days, Tomcat would take a negative load-on-startup order
in the web.xml for a servlet. When running under WebLogic, that disabled the
servlet.

My app also called ServletContext.getResourceAsStream("WEB-INF/file"). That
worked under Tomcat, but when run under WebSphere, it would throw an error.
That's because the servlet spec says that calls to getResourceAsStream()
must have a resource name that starts with "/". Tomcat wasn't enforcing
that. I turned it in as a bug, and it was fixed in Tomcat.

The only issue that I'm aware of that might be medium risk is cookie
handling. Recent versions of Tomcat became stricter about handling cookies.
I forget the details but it has to do with having illegal characters in
cookie names or data. If you search for it, I'm sure you'll find it.

Honestly, my experience with vendors is that they have technical staff with
very limited capabilities. They're terrified that something will break on
their app and they won't be able to figure it out and they'll look stupid.
So, they take the safe course which is they restrict their app to a very
finite configuration that their limited capability staff can handle.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/