Earlier this week I posted a question about how to prevent sessions from being
created in our Tapestry pages, and/or how to get Tomcat to get rid of a bunch
of '1-second' sessions we're creating during a load test because the sessions
eventually fill up the heap. (They are being created faster than Tomcat can
clean them out - even though they expire faster than we create them.)

So, my lead developer thinks he has found a way to alleviate our problems (at
least for our production Tomcat 6.0.20 cluster of 4 servers). We will not
replicate sessions to other cluster members unless they have a duration longer
than a 'threshold' we set. We are altering the DeltaManager to make this
change, so that simply creating a session doesn't automatically guarantee that
it is replicated to other nodes in the cluster. The session duration will also
have to be greater than a "sessionDurationMinThreshold" value we will set in
the 'server.xml' file for the new DeltaManager. The idea is that sessions
created that have very short durations are really 'transient' anyway, so there
is no need to pass them off to the other members of the cluster.

The question I have, is there anything we should watch out for in making this
adjustment to the DeltaManager? We will test this pretty heavily before we
deploy it to our production environment, but I'm worried about things we should
be looking for in that testing (other than just validating that our "useful"
session data can be available across multiple cluster members).

--
Robin D. Wilson
Director of Web Development