From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:chuck.caldar...@unisys.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:08 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: PermGen question

> From: Jeffrey Janner [mailto:jeffrey.jan...@polydyne.com]
> Subject: PermGen question
>
> Instance 1:
>  PSPermGen       total 43712K, used 43613K [0x000000007fff0000,
> 0x0000000082aa0000, 0x00000000853f0000)
>   object space 43712K, 99% used
> [0x000000007fff0000,0x0000000082a875d8,0x0000000082aa0000)
>
> Instance 2:
>  PSPermGen       total 86016K, used 45979K [0x000000007fff0000,
> 0x00000000853f0000, 0x00000000853f0000)
>   object space 86016K, 53% used
> [0x000000007fff0000,0x0000000082cd6ef8,0x00000000853f0000)

> Obviously, I'm concerned about that 99% used value in the first
> instance, and will be going back to address it.

It is likely not a problem.  That's 99% used of what's allocated, not
the maximum - 99% is a good thing (high efficiency).  I'd be more
concerned about Instance 2, where PermGen expanded to 86MB at one point.

> However, I would have thought that it would have the same
> size as instance 2.

Unless they have identical workloads with identical requests, there will
be variance.

> Can someone explain what's happening here that I'm not seeing?

Nothing unusual is going on.

> I didn't think that the PermGen grew or shrunk over time.

You thought wrong.  There are parameters for both initial and maximum
PermGen size; unless they're explicitly set to the same value, PermGen
will expand and contract, just like the Java heap.

It's often more illuminating to use JConsole or JVisualVM to monitor
heap and PermGen usage over a significant time period, rather than
looking at snapshots.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

*******************************  NOTICE  *********************************
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply or by
telephone (call us collect at 512-343-9100) and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.