> From: Richard Sickler [mailto:richard.sick...@avagotech.com]
> Subject: Re: Problem on Tomcat 6.0.20
>
> I removed a file and a directory named WebApplication2, and that
> cleared up that problem.  On to the next undocumented feature!

It's fully documented:

Context elements may be explicitly defined:
    * In individual files (with a ".xml" extension) in the
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ directory. The name of the file
(less the .xml extension) will be used as the context path. Multi-level context
paths may be defined using #, e.g. foo#bar.xml for a context path of /foo/bar.
The default web application may be defined by using a file called ROOT.xml.
    * Only if a context file does not exist for the application in the
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/, in an individual file at
/META-INF/context.xml inside the application files. If the web application is
packaged as a WAR then /META-INF/context.xml will be copied to
$CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/ and renamed to match the
application's context path. Once this file exists, it will not be replaced if a
new WAR with a newer /META-INF/context.xml is placed in the host's appBase.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.