Thank you Juha.  The <c:url value='/AuthLogin'/>" works nicely.

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Laiho [mailto:juha.la...@iki.fi]
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:49 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat not seeing servlet

On 02/14/2010 06:21 PM, David Short wrote:
> "./AuthLogin" and "AuthLogin" still don't work.
>
> It works with the fully qualified path
> "http://yourserver:port/yourwebapp/AuthLogin"; or "../../AuthLogin"

Ah, yes, that completes the picture. And below I'll
somewhat repeat what Konstantin already explained, but
perhaps in a little bit different way.

The url-patterns you set in web.xml are relative to the
application (context) root:

>>     <servlet-mapping>
>>         <servlet-name>AuthLoginServlet</servlet-name>
>>         <url-pattern>/AuthLogin</url-pattern>
>>     </servlet-mapping>

.. which means that the full URL for the above servlet will be
http://server:port/contextroot/AuthLogin

However, URLs you set in jsp:s are "true" URLs, which means
that the /AuthLogin in your jsp form is not relative to
the application root:

>> Login.jsp snippet:
>> <form name="login" method="post" action="/AuthLogin">

... /AuthLogin here refers to
http://server:port/AuthLogin

The proposed forms
>   <form name="login" method="post" action="AuthLogin">
>   <form name="login" method="post" action="./AuthLogin">

would both refer to
http://server:port/yourwebapp/path_to_Loginjsp/AuthLogin

... where, apparently the path_to_Loginjsp in your case
has two levels of directories. To make either of the above
forms work, your url-pattern for the AuthLoginServlet would
have to be
<url-pattern>/path_to_Loginjsp/AuthLogin</url-pattern>
... and this would pretty much be the easiest way to solve
the problem; with this, your JSP could really have the
form action as plain "AuthLogin".

The JSTL tag library does also contain a tag "c:url", which
helps in making URLs that refer to the application itself;
that would be another solution if your application already
uses JSTL. For an explanation, see f.ex.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jstl0318/
--
..Juha