On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 7:36 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Not to mention possible inconsistencies between the different copies..
> ;-)
> Imagine you have 4 balanced Tomcats, each of which has its own file
> repository, and each of which can potentially run the next upload request or
> download request.  To/from where does the file get uploaded/downladed ?
> (until all rsyncs have run).  And if the file is there twice, but different,
> which one is correct ? (how would rsync know ?)

Have you used rsync? Because I'm not sure I'm understanding your
questions. I don't see how downloads are relevant; it's uploads that
add a file to the file system on the Tomcat that processed the request.
And that would be the source filesystem to rsync from.

> There are probably more than one sensible configuration possible. Choosing
> the best one would really depend on details of the application.

Based on the original description:
  "... involves serving files that are saved on the local file
   system. These files are uploaded by users."

:: I'm assuming a write-once, read-multiple use case, for which rsync
is perfect. A newly added file on one file system will be propagated to
the others. It's a simple and consistent replication scheme.

If, however, the application allows file *modification*, then you have
a concurrency problem no matter what storage mechanism you use.

So yes, the best solution does depend on the details of the app...
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan