Hello,

We tried to detail precisely on a blog post named "Tomcat, SSL,
communications sécurisées et X-Forwarded-Proto" (1) different
solutions to handle SSL with Tomcat including decrypting https on the
Apache layer. It is written in french but there are many schemas and
it is google translate friendly.

My preferred solution is to use the RemoteIpValve in Tomcat in
addition with the X-Forwarded-For http header set in Apache httpd.
Another solution is to create two connectors in Tomcat, a non secured
one and a secured one.

Please note that RemoteIpValve has been introduced in version 6.0.24
of Tomcat and is available for previous versions in a separate jar
(2).

Hope this helps,

Cyrille

--