Barry,

On 2/25/2010 3:45 PM, Propes, Barry L wrote:
> Should be noted: for the factory type in the params below, I tried both
> factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory" and
> factory="org.apache.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory", each to no avail.

How about either factory="org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
or specifying no factory at all and accepting the default (which is that
shown above)?

> I removed the commons ref to test out since there's no commons/lib
> dir in TC 6.0.24, unlike in TC 4.1.31

Right: common/lib, server/lib, and shared/lib are essentially all merged
into a single /lib in Tomcat 6. You can play with catalina.properties
and make all kinds of ClassLoader hierarchies, but it's usually not
worth it.

> <Context>
>   <!-- omitting - factory="oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSourceFactory" below-->
>
> <Resource name="jdbc/myoracle"
> auth="Container"
> type="javax.sql.DataSource"
> factory="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory"
>  maxActive="125"
>  maxIdle="15"
>  maxWait="7000"
>  removeAbandoned="true"
>  removeAbandonedTimeout="30"
>  logAbandoned="true"
> username="user_name"
> password="pass_word"
> driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
> url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@159.177.102.100:1526:MYSID"
> minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="5000"
> timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis = "10000"
> testWhileIdle="true"
> />
> </Context>

All that looks okay to me, although 700ms isn't a long time to wait for
a connection to come back from the pool: my guess is that you'd rather
wait for a while for a connection and give the user a complete, if late,
response rather than just giving them an error screen.

My position is that testWhildIdle isn't really useful: if you test on
borrow, that's usually sufficient unless you want to basically eliminate
the possibility that a connection will have to be re-established during
a user request.

Finally, 30 seconds is a very short "abandoned timeout", though only you
can determine what is appropriate in your environment. If you have some
code which executes 3 10-second queries, then your connection is
considered abandoned :(

> in webapps/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> <resource-ref>
> <description>My Ora datasource</description>
> <res-ref-name>jdbc/myoracle</res-ref-name>
> <res-type>javax.sql.DataSource</res-type>
> <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
> </resource-ref>

In my experience, <resource-ref> is not necessary in web.xml but does
follow the spec.

So, still getting this error, then:

?