Christopher Schultz wrote:

Aryeh,

On 3/2/2010 3:48 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
Christopher Schultz wrote:

Is this a new client, or just a new data format? Mark's suggestion that
you may be using POST without the proper Content-Type would result in
getting null for this parameter (because Tomcat will not parse it for
you). If this is the case, you should either fix the new client to use
the proper Content-Type, or fall-back to reading and parsing the request
body manually when these requirements are not met.
New format same frontend client code which does use the proper content
type. (the content type is defined at a lower level then the format and
that code has not changed [using firebug on firefox confirms that fact])

Hmm.

So, POST + application/x-www-form-urlencoded yields a null parameter
with your new payload?

I know this sounds silly, but we're getting down to the
grasping-at-straws level, here, so bear with me: have you checked to see
that your request body is actually in the correct format (that is,
urlencoded, etc.)? I haven't looked at the Tomcat code, but Tomcat might
give up if the request body is not parsable.

Have you tried calling request.getInputStream and dumping the request
body when the parameter is null? That might give you some indication of
what's happening.
The client does url encode in addition to translating any chars that are used either by tomcat and/or or app to decode the reaquest (namely = is translated to ^, comma to #, right/left parens to @ and $ respectivally) then I use javascripts "escape(string)" method to url encode it.... the app by default uses post but if I cut and paste the resulting payload into a GET and pass it to the app it works fine (i.e. the app uses POST but I do manual testing with GET)