Right now this issue is just a curiosity, as I've got the website up and
running properly on the other installation, but still...

n828cl wrote:

>> On the deployment machine, on the other hand, I am able to load
>> the page while Tomcat isn't running, and even make changes to the
>> website and see them on a browser.
>
> Not possible.  Either you're not really stopping Tomcat, or Tomcat is not
> the web server you're accessing.  Is Tomcat being front-ended by httpd,
> and is it configured to deliver the content you're changing?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'front-ended', but in fact I've found an old
installation of httpd on this system. Quite possibly it's interfering with
Tomcat. As to being configured to deliver the content, what I'm changing is
in the proper place in the webapp directory, and afaik httpd isn't capable
of delivering JSP pages -- which leaves me quite puzzled...

Vic.