From: peter.crowth...@googlemail.com [mailto:peter.crowth...@googlemail.com] On
Behalf Of Peter Crowther
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:39 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 on RHEL3

On 16 March 2010 10:02, Ningappa Koneri <ningappa.kon...@comviva.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have an issue with tomcat 6

Version?

> which is deployed under RHEL3 with JDK5

Version?

> , the problem is tomcat is taking hell lot of time in deploying the war
> files when started.
> It's so busy that not responding back with home page also, what could be
> the problem ?
>
> How long is "hell lot"?  The log message should tell you "Tomcat started in
____ms".

What's the spec of the machine on which you're running Tomcat?  How much
heap and permspace have you allocated to the Java virtual machine in which
Tomcat is running, and how much memory is it using?  (top will tell you how
much memory it's using; it will be more than heap+permspace due to other
operating system structures)

Is the machine busy during all this time?  If so, what is the limiting
factor - disk i/o, memory or CPU?  Run top to get an idea of CPU usage,
vmstat (I use "vmstat 5" until I have a better idea) to get an idea of disk
i/o.

How large is the war file?  If you unzip the war files (a war file is just a
zip file with a different extension) on the same machine, how long does it
take?

Lots of questions, but we need more information to be able to answer.

- Peter

This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the
intended recipient(s) ONLY and contains confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
by reply e-mail and destroy all copies and the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this email or any action taken pursuant to the contents of the
present e-mail is strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
The recipient acknowledges that Comviva Technologies Limited or its management
or directors, are unable to exercise control or ensure the integrity over /of
the contents of the information contained in e-mail. Any views expressed herein
are those of the individual sender only and no binding nature of the contents
shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly with due
authority of Comviva Technologies Limited. E-mail and any contents transmitted
with it are prone to viruses and related defects despite all efforts to avoid
such by Comviva Technologies Limited.