On 24/03/2010 18:39, David Calavera wrote:
Hi,

I'm working in an application that uses an embedded tomcat and I'd like to
add a feature to add a connection pool by source but when I run the server
I'm getting this error:

  javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in
environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an
application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial

That sounds like you haven't configued the InitialContext via a suitable Factory. I don't think Tomcat embedded does that automatically*, so you would need to provide it yourself.

* someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm using the tomcat jars for the version 6.0.18, and this is how I'm trying
to do it:

tomcat = new org.apache.catalina.startup.Tomcat() //creates the new server

... // configures the server

StandardContext application = tomcat.addWebapp(); //creates the web
application

... // configures the web application

resource = org.apache.catalina.deploy.ContextResource() // creates the new
JNDI resource

... // configures the JNDI resource with the name, type and properties

application.getNamingResources().addResource(resource) // adds the resource
to the application context

tomcat.start() //start tomcat

This is more or less the code, seems I'm not configuring anything because
without the resource it works fine.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you