Michael,

Many thanks for your comments, clarifications and references.
I believe that these will help the Tomcat development team in their decision about implementing (or not) the getParameter family of methods on HTTP methods other than GET and POST.

I did indeed leave some aspects out of my own post (such as POST "parameters" encoded as multipart/form-data, the "path-info" etc.), in order to keep the general explanation more readable. But even so, I appreciate your comments because they improve my own knowledge and will lead me to re-read these specs with hopefully a better level of understanding and precision.

From the quality of your post, it sounds that you may be involved somehow in the HTTP RFC process. Is that a correct guess ? If yes, would you mind if ask you a couple of additional HTTP-related questions, off-list ?