I strongly advocate server relative URLs which get rid of the whole
problem.  All that means is the URL becomes everything after the
servername & port in a full absolute URL.  That way it just plain works
and even minimizes the browser's understanding of how to compute an
absolute URL from a relative one.  It's even super easy to create them ...

request.getContextPath() + '/app/rel/path/to/myresource.blah'

It even takes into account if the app is deployed multiple times in
multiple contexts.  ie it's always the context in the current request.

--David