Thanks Chris for replying,

1) I have not looked at using mod_jk as a connector. Do you believe mod_jk is a
better option to use than mod_proxy_ajp ?

2) proxy_ajp.conf just points to localhost  on port 8009

/usr/sbin/httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Mar 27 2010 13:52:45

Server is a vanilla Centos5.4 linux install.

3) I checked the documentation on mod_jk,

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html

and see a reply_timout worker directive, but cannot find a request_timeout
directive. What is the theory behind a slow tomcat request from apache ? eg.
Should apache buffer up the client request before sending across the connector,
or is the connector responsible for handling a tomcat request across many
fragmented request packets ?

4) I will look at reproducing using a hello world example on a TEST server with
the same OS and then look at your suggestion of upgrading to a new version. Our
preference though is to stay with vanilla CENTOS, if we can. Easier for future
software maintenance.

Doug.