On 05/03/2010 02:53 PM, Pid wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 18:30, Mark Shifman wrote:

> Do you see log messages referring to potential leaks in the catalina.out
> log (assuming you're on a unix variant)?
>
> If so, can you post them please?

There are no messages in catalia.out concerning leaks (I am using Linux
2.6.18-92.1.22.el5)
I also got rid of timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis in datasource since it causes a
leaky TimerThread).

> What does the manager 'find leaks' command report exactly?
leak (use a profiler to confirm):
/yp_results

My webapp is named yp_results.

>>> After a few undeploy/redeploy cycles does the number of
>>> WebappClassLoader's also increase?
>>
>> Yes it increases 1 for each undeploy/redeploy cycle.
>
>> snip... <
>
>>> Maybe.

> OK, so I've looked at JAXBContext (and JAXBContextImpl) and it doesn't
> (after quick read through) look like it's storing the classloader
> argument anywhere during the newInstance call, which is the usual source
> of leaks.
>
>>> Where is the jar with the above code, in a webapp?
>> The code above in in the war for the web app in a class in
>> WEB-INF/classes/org/blablabla
>>
>> It is called via a class that looks like this:
>>
>> public class JAXBMascot {
>>      protected static Log log = LogFactory.getLog(JAXBMascot.class);
>>      private XMLEventReader reader;
>>      private Unmarshaller u =
>> JAXBContextMascot.INSTANCE.createUnmarshaller();
>
> You're setting the XMLEventReader, Unmarshaller & InputStream as
> instance field values, rather than completing the parsing in the
> getInstance() method?
I have really big xmls to unmarshall so I am using streaming them in and
unmarshalling the elements I want
and then insert into my database. I need the reader to see where I am and then
the umarshaller

I didn't show the all the methods of JAXBMascot but here is workhorse:
        public <T> T getNextElement(String theElement, String elementAfter,
Class <T>clazz) {
                String elname = "";
                T h = null;
                try {
                        while(reader.hasNext()){
                          if(reader.peek().isStartElement()){
                                 elname =
reader.peek().asStartElement().getName().getLocalPart();
                                 if(elname.equals(theElement)){
                                       h= u.unmarshal(reader, clazz).getValue();
                                       return h;
                                 }
                          } else if(reader.peek().isEndElement()){
                                        elname =
reader.peek().asEndElement().getName().getLocalPart();
                                        if(elname.equals(elementAfter)){
                                                return h;
                                        }
                                }

                          reader.nextEvent();
                        }
                } catch (XMLStreamException e) {
                        throw new RuntimeException(e);
                } catch (JAXBException e) {
                        throw new RuntimeException(e);
                }
                return h;
    }

It also has a close method to clean up after I have gotten all the elements.
        public void close(){
                try {
                        reader.close();
                } catch (XMLStreamException e) {
                        //quietly
                }
                IOUtils.closeQuietly(jxb_in);
                u=null;
        }
I don't think I am leaving any stuff hanging around but memory leaks are very
sneaky.
mas

--
 Mark Shifman MD. Ph.D.