On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Dale Ogilvie
<dale.ogil...@trimble.co.nz> wrote:

> I'm pleased to hear that the upgrade process is trivial with your setup.
> If you're going to have special practices, they might as well be simple.

Since I don't use package management for anything important, it's
not "special practice" :-)

> On what did you base your init.d scripts?

Don't remember, actually; I've been using pretty much the same
basic version for a long time. I mean, it's just a shell script, eh?

> And what is your underlying distro? We use redhat/fedora.

As a consultant, whatever the client's running; my own dev desktop
system is SuSE, my own production server is RHEL, and I've got a
couple of different Linux VMs on my MBP for testing. That changes
periodically. And of course I'm running multiple Tomcats on the Mac
too :-)

Which, now that I think of it, is a good reason to install from the
tar file; it's the same everywhere. I don't have to use "yum" here,
"rpm" there -- the same simple drill works *everywhere*.

Obviously, your situation sounds quite different from mine :-)

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan