My intent is purely to find the best solution for an up-to-date tomcat on linux.

If we have to pay for an up-to-date tomcat on linux we will. Indeed we would
prefer to roll up the cost for up-to-date tomcat in our current commercial
distro fees.

>From responses it seems:

1. that there is no up-to-date tomcat package on non-free linux.

2. that .tar.gz is the only up-to-date option on linux generally.

3. that .tar.gz is considered a workable option.

I smile at the "gift horse in mouth" statements.

A free gift can vary greatly in it's final value, depending on it's actual
usefulness and how many hidden costs it brings with it.

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Friday, 21 May 2010 10:05 a.m.
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Keeping tomcat up-to-date on linux

Hi.

I think in all of this, you may be overlooking one element : the distributions
you seem to be talking about are free, and made by volunteers who donate their
time.
That includes Tomcat.
There are other distributions which are not free, where the people making them
actually get paid for doing so, and for testing them together with other
packages, and for handling a whole concept of "global releases".
For those you pay, and you are then entitled to complain (to them) if they lag
behind, or do not provide the tools you would wish for.

It is your choice to subscribe to one or the other.  As often mentioned on this
forum also, contributions are always welcome.

In my country, there is a proverb : if you receive a horse (as a present, for
free), then you should not check his teeth.

My apologies if I misinterpreted your post below.