Am Wed, 26 May 2010 13:08:23 +1000
schrieb Leon Kolchinsky <lkolc...@gmail.com>:

> # A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
> #
> # java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: requested 2147483664 bytes for
> Chunk::new. Out of swap space?

Without knowing the application I would strongly estimate that it is
an application bug if it requests a block of 2 GB memory.

It might be a good idea to monitor the JVM and its memory management
with JMX-tools like jconsole (X11) or LambdaProbe (Tomcat).

> CATALINA_OPTS="-server -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m
> -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
> -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled -Djava.awt.headless=true"

We are using in our standard setups some more parameters although I'm
not sure if they are necessary always or just still valid, e.g.:

# Maximum Size of new generation; default: function of NewRatio
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-XX:MaxNewSize=400m
# Default size of new generation; default: 30% larger
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-XX:NewSize=400m
# Ratio of new/old generation sizes; default: 8
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-XX:NewRatio=3
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS "-XX:+UseParNewGC

Here you find some parameter docs:
 http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/java.html
 http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/vmoptions.jsp

Generally I would ask the application vendor for suggested parameters.

Gruß,
 Tobias.