On 27/05/2010 19:08, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Pid [mailto:p...@pidster.com]
>> Subject: Re: Clustering, De-Serialization and Order of Operations
>>
>> Session persistence is a Manager Valve function
>
> Is that true even for the start() and stop() methods of StandardManager?  I
> thought valves came into play during request processing, not context
> initialization.

I checked:

/**
 * Standard implementation of the <b>Manager</b> interface that provides
 * simple session persistence across restarts of this component (such as
 * when the entire server is shut down and restarted, or when a particular
 * web application is reloaded.
 * <p>
 * <b>IMPLEMENTATION NOTE</b>:  Correct behavior of session storing and
 * reloading depends upon external calls to the <code>start()</code> and
 * <code>stop()</code> methods of this class at the correct times.
 *
 * @author Craig R. McClanahan
 * @author Jean-Francois Arcand
 * @version $Id$
 */

from:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/session/StandardManager.java

however:

  lifecycle.fireLifecycleEvent(START_EVENT, null);
  started = true;

is fired before the "load()" method which starts the session
deserialisation, so I'll need to dig further to find out what happens.