> From: Eric P [mailto:eric.maill...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Where to store uploaded user content in app
>
> For example, in my application I was thinking I would create
> an empty directory under /web/WEB-INF for the non-web accessible
> image uploads and another empty directory right under /web for
> the web accessible images.

Bad idea.  You should treat the deployment area as read-only, at least from the
webapp's perspective.  To be spec compliant, you can't even assume that the
deployment area is part of the platform's file system.  Better to locate the
necessary directories completely outside of Tomcat's directory structure, and
provide system or <Context> properties to tell the webapp where to find them.

As far as serving the moderated images, it's easy to define a simple
<Context>-only webapp for that location, and let Tomcat's DefaultServlet
deliver the pictures.  Just create a <Context> element with a docBase attribute
pointing to the approved image directory, and put the <Context> element in
conf/Catalina/[host]/[imageURL].xml; no other structure or configuration is
needed.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.