From: Jill Han [mailto:jill....@alverno.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:26 AM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Active Directory authentication

Hi,
I tried to configure tomcat to authenticate against active directory. Here is
the relevant part in server.xml

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
              debug="99"
              connectionName="ad...@tst.mycollege.edu"
              connectionPassword="adminpassword"
              connectionURL="ldap://tst.mycollege.edu:389";
              userBase="DC=tst,DC=mycollege,DC=edu"
              userSearch="(sAMAccountName={0})"
              userRoleName="memberof"
              roleBase="DC=tst,DC=mycollege,DC=edu"
              roleName="cn"
              roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"
              userSubtree="true"
              roleSubtree="false"
      />
In the web.xml
<security-constraint>
    <auth-constraint>
      <role-name>OU=EMP,dc=tst,DC=mycollege,DC=edu</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>

  <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>NEWS</realm-name>
  </login-config>

  <security-role>
    <role-name>OU=EMP,dc=tst,DC=mycollege,DC=edu</role-name>
  </security-role>
The login window will prompt when you access the site, however no
login/password will be accepted, in the log file,

Jun 15, 2010 7:14:53 AM org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm authenticate
SEVERE: Exception performing authentication
javax.naming.PartialResultException: Unprocessed Continuation Reference(s);
remaining name 'DC=tst,DC=mycollege,DC=edu'
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(LdapCtx.java:2763)
        at com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtx.processReturnCode(LdapCtx.java:2737)
        at
com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapNamingEnumeration.getNextBatch(LdapNamingEnumeration.java:129)
        at
com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapNamingEnumeration.hasMoreImpl(LdapNamingEnumeration.java:198)
        at
com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapNamingEnumeration.hasMore(LdapNamingEnumeration.java:171)
        at
org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.getUserBySearch(JNDIRealm.java:1067)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.getUser(JNDIRealm.java:958)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.authenticate(JNDIRealm.java:907)
        at org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm.authenticate(JNDIRealm.java:808)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.BasicAuthenticator.authenticate(BasicAuthenticator.java:180)
        at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:490)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
        at
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
        at
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.invoke(JkCoyoteHandler.java:199)
        at org.apache.jk.common.HandlerRequest.invoke(HandlerRequest.java:282)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:754)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:684)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:876)
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
I don't know what could go wrong, AD setup on active directory site, or the
properties in the server.xml.
Thanks for your help as always,

Jill