In RUNNING.txt it says you can have a single copy of Tomcat binary shared among
multiple users on the same server by setting the "environment variable"
$CATALINA_BASE to the directory that contains the files for each personal
Tomcat instance.

As simple as that reads, I don't understand it.  I don't understand how this is
different than a virtual host with different appBase's.  Is it saying that
whoever has a user login on the server can have their own Tomcat playground
even though there is just one Tomcat installed?

So, if on Windows, you set a User environment variable of CATALINA_BASE to
something like C:\TomcatDevUser1  ... that's it?
Tomcat figures out the CATALINA_BASE variable depending on who is logged in?
Does C:\TomcatDevUser1 need a ROOT directory for their default webapp?

Leo