> From: Robinson, Eric [mailto:eric.robin...@psmnv.com]
> Subject: RE: Showing Tomcat Memory Utilization with 'top'
>
> For example, I have a tomcat configured to use 96MB of heap (export
> JAVA_OPTS="-ms96M -mx96M"). Top shows VIRT=336396, RES=227264. I'm
> guessing that the 96MB of heap is buried in BOTH the VIRT and RES
> numbers?

Since -Xms == -Xmx, that is normally true.  However, the JVM may not have
actually used all the allocated heap space, since the heap is internally
divided into several regions (eg, eden, survivor, tenured), and some of these
are further subdivided (TLAB).  If a page in the heap hasn't been touched (not
unusual for some TLAB areas), it will appear in VIRT but not in RES.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.