> All,
>
> While reading another thread ("What's going on ... ?"), I started to
> think about how inconvenient it is to have to put your JDBC driver into
> the server's lib directory. As it stands, now, all webapps must share
> the same version of the same driver, and the main installation of Tomcat
> (or scion, when using CATALINA_BASE) must be modified from the default
> in order to deploy your application :(

You can define a lib dir under CATALINA_BASE and Tomcat will load jars
from there by preference over CATALINA_HOME, no?

If it doesn't do it by default you can modify catalina.properties so it
does.

> It would seem to me that, if the webapps's META-INF/context.xml file
> defines a JNDI <Resource>, that the server could use the context's
> libraries to initialize those resources.

You can define a DataSource in context.xml - that's why Realm has
localDataSource.  Or do you mean something else?