Shay,

Forgive all potential newbness in my responses below.  I'm still learning this
stuff.

Shay Rojansky wrote:
Hi Eric.

Would making your servlet reload all application vars not be akin to simply
reloading your servlet altogether, by changing context/init params in your
web.xml or context.xml?

Do you mean "reloading your 'application' altogether"? If so wouldn't that cause disruption to users currently on the app? This disruption is what I'd like to avoid.

If you really want to avoid an application reload, why not just have your
app read its values from a properties config file instead of a DB? It would
be much more lightweight and standard.

That's an idea. But wouldn't file I/O every time a servlet needs an application value be way more expensive than storing settings in a record, reading and setting them to the application scope once, and only resetting these vars manually when needed?

Is this standard documented somewhere?

Thanks... I appreciate the ideas.
Eric