Gabriele,

On 7/7/2010 8:11 AM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> I get back to this discussion beacuse I was brainstorming again on it,
> and found
> that the already present class loader may actually be able to do this alone.
>
> My thought was: if Tomcat is capable of managing different application
> contexts under
> its "work" folder, and have them run different applications with
> different class versions
> inside their classes/lib, probably it may implement automatic
> application updates
> by createing different application contexts behind the scene.

Uh, what?

> I see this scenario:
> - Tomcat is running my webapp
> - People have sessions on it, and Tomcat has its application context on
> my webapp
> - I place new jar files/classes
> - Tomcat detects, and instead of reloading and invalidating current
> sessions, it will
> keep current sessions on the old application context, until they reach 0
> sessions
> - Meanwhile it may create a new application context to run new sessions

That's not how it works.

> How hard would it be to make this true in Tomcat?

Probably not too difficult, but the Tomcat team is unlikely to implement
this because the spec (at least as of 2.5) is silent on the subject of
auto-deployment (other than to mention that the container is free to
implement it).

Such a system would be quite chaotic in a clustered environment, because
some cluster members would update before others, and, depending upon the
configuration of the cluster, information sharing and/or member
selection could fail and the whole site could become unstable from a
user perspective.

I highly recommend performing deliberate application updates by bleeding
users off of one server and on to another.

> Is there any other Java WebApp Container capable of doing this?

Dunno. You could probably search the web for something like that.