On 13 July 2010 16:15, abhishek jain <abhishek.netj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Peter Crowther <
> peter.crowt...@melandra.com
> > wrote:
>
> > On 13 July 2010 09:34, abhishek jain <abhishek.netj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I am using tomcat 5.5 , struts 1.x and i encounter the following error:
> > > I actually store the object in session and retrieve that(for a shopping
> > > cart
> > > application), pl. advice what i can do to remove this error:
> > >
> > > java.io.NotSerializableException: com.cart.Customer
> > >

> > You need to make sure that com.cart.Customer (and anything else you store
> > in
> > the session) is serializable.
> >
> > - Peter
> >

> Thanks Peter,
> i will check but i get this error only at times, and not always.
> Can this still be the cause of the problem.
> thanks
> abhishek

Yes.  It's happening because your webapp is being reloaded (are you changing
some part of it?) and there are active sessions.  The sessions are
serialised to persist them; then the webapp is restarted; then the sessions
are deserialised.

If there are no sessions at the time the webapp is restarted, the problem
will not occur.

- Peter