On 07/16/2010 09:08 AM, shivanic wrote:

Hello,

For comparing performance of Apache Tomcat 7 with APR and Jboss Web Server
with APR version 2.1.4 with Tomcat 7   we have done a load test of an app.

Your results only show that you have used load testing wrongly.
Hitting the server with the simple DoS tool won't give you
any relevant relevant info unless you are hitting the
web application that has constant response timeout (a bit oxymoron).

Such web applications are for example Default servlet, which
won't also give you the correct results, cause depending on the
file size APR might choose to serve that via OS sendfile, in
which case OS might cache that resource and give you the faulty
sense of speed. Also the JVM might have it's own logic for GC
(easily observable by multiple runs)

However if your web application access the external resource
(database or something) that has variable response time, all
you get as result of testing is the state of that resource
availability at the time test was run, not the performance
characteristics of the application server.

Just to prove my point, use your current test for any of
the application servers you've tested so far, and repeat the
same test with some random time between test runs, then
do the same thing each time restarting the app server, and
cleaning up the log files, and you'll see that numbers
simply make no sense :)

Regards
--
^TM