When I check the version of Tomcat 7, it says it is 7.0.0.0.
It's the compiled version from 6/13/2010.

And yes, the log calls in the destroy method are never done, hence my
concern that it isn't being invoked.  Under Tomcat 6, these log messages
were captured and written indicating a successful execution of the
method.  Even when I use a simple context listener that does a log
message at startup and destroy times, only the startup one is captured.

Chris