On 18.08.2010 20:41, laredotornado wrote:

Hi,

I'm using Tomcat 6.0.26, Java 1.6 on Linux kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.  I'm
trying to figure out if there if we can figure out how much of our allocated
heap memory is actually being used.  Grateful for any thoughts you might
have, - Dave

Caution 1: "used" does include garbage. Dead object size is never known. If you want to know used without garbage, you need to wait for a GC (or trigger one).

Caution 2: There are different GC's cleaning up the young generation, the tenured generation and perm gen. It might even be very different when using JVMs like JRockit, or the IBM or HP JVM or Apache Harmony (the later is not certified for legal reasons).

Regards,

Rainer